San Francisco Dentist Reviews Common Signs Of Gum Disease And Periodontal Disease
In order to keep your smile healthy and strong for years to come, it is crucial that you care for your oral tissues. Your gums, for example, are the foundation of your smile; when your gum tissue is damaged, your whole smile can become destabilized.
Please keep in mind that gum disease, in its earliest stages, can be effectively treated, and, often, reversed. The sooner that you are able to recognize and seek treatment for gum disease, the better your long-term prognosis.
Keep your eyes open for these signs and symptoms of gum disease, and talk to your dentist when they occur:
· Damaged gum tissue may look red and swollen
· Infected gums are prone to bleeding when they are disturbed due to chewing, brushing, or flossing
· As gum disease intensifies your gum tissue may actually start to pull away from your teeth; the resultant gaps between your gums and teeth are called periodontal pockets, and they are prone to collecting dental debris and bacteria
· Chronic bad breath can result for periodontal disease, because the same oral bacteria that infect your teeth and gums release unpleasant odors as they feed and grow
· Advanced gum infections can cause your teeth to become loose, shift around on your gum line, and eventually fall out
When you meet with our dental team, we’ll help you develop an at-home and in-office treatment plan to neutralize harmful bacteria and help your healthy oral tissues heal and regenerate. We may encourage you to utilize specific toothpaste or mouth rinse formulations at home in order to boost your ability to combat gum disease.
As always, our San Francisco dentists are here to provide you with all of the information and support that you need to reclaim a healthy smile. Call our office to schedule a personal consultation, or use the Contact Us page on our website to submit an inquiry.
Comments are closed.