Get Tips From Our San Francisco Dentist About Caring For Your Smile At Home
Most people already know that they should be brushing their teeth twice a day at home. However, there are additional steps that you can take to improve your at-home oral hygiene efforts and take care of your smile. Our San Francisco dentists are here to give you some more information!
The first thing to keep in mind is that it matters when you brush your teeth:
- The recommendation from the ADA is that patients brush their smiles once in the morning and once in the evening before bed.
- Do not brush your smile for twenty to thirty minutes after consuming something acidic, as your enamel is softer for this period of time.
You also want to make sure that you’re using the correct tools for the job:
- Pay attention to the type of bristle you’re using. Most people will do well with a soft-bristled brush, and stiffer bristles may actually be too abrasive. If you don’t know what type of bristle is right for you, talk to your dentist for guidance.
- Ensure that the head of your toothbrush is small enough to fit comfortably in those hard-to-reach back corners of your smile.
The second component of any strong oral hygiene routine is floss.
- The best time to floss is at night directly before brushing. This allows you to dislodge plaque and dental debris before promptly brushing it away.
- When flossing, make sure that you clean thoroughly between all of your teeth.
- Move your piece of floss as far as you can into your gum tissue, as plaque that accumulates around your oral tissues can lead to periodontal disease.
- As you begin flossing, cut off a long strip of floss. Then, move down this length of floss as you go from tooth to tooth, taking care not to use a dirty section of floss.
Our San Francisco dentists work with our patients to help them perfect their at-home oral hygiene routines. Call our dental team to learn more, and to schedule a personal consultation.
Comments are closed.